Although the goods service continued until 1960, the railway station in Macmerry was closed to passenger traffic on 1 July 1925. However, the parish is well served by good bus services to Edinburgh, Tranent, Haddington and Dunbar. Transport north and south by bus and car became much faster with the opening of the A1 Macmerry and Tranent by-pass in 1986, and the dualling of the carriageway between Bankton and Haddington in 1996, which by-passed Gladsmuir itself.
MP Michael Ancram, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Scottish Office, opened the Tranent by-pass, which took the main A1 road to the north of Tranent and Macmerry, on 27 March 1986. This was dual carriageway as far as Bankton, and then single carriageway to a newly built junction at the eastern end of the Macmerry Industrial Estate. At this point it rejoined the old road, which continued as a three-lane road, with one lane each way and a central lane for overtaking. The opening of the by-pass caused a great deal of relief in Macmerry, but there was still concern about the volume and speed of traffic going through Gladsmuir. Local politicians and the local community continued to press for a full dual carriageway as far as Haddington, but it was argued that the traffic flow was too light to justify this. It was another ten years before the next section of road was built. This upgraded the Tranent bypass to dual carriageway and extended the dual carriageway to pass to the north of Gladsmuir and on to Haddington. This section of road was opened on 11 October 1996.
Since this road opened, there has been an attempt to encourage cyclists with the marking of cycle lanes on either side of the old road, now the A199, which traverses the parish.
The old railway line to the west of Macmerry has been turned into and maintained as a railway walk.
A1 from Macmerry bridge, c1994, before dualling