So from 1945 units were run down, but in 1947 the TA was reconstituted with a worldwide remit. Both ex-TA soldiers and new volunteers joined the new units, which were still covered by the pre-war proviso that the TA was only to be embodied in time of war. This meant that ex-war reservists and later national service men and national service reservists (the ‘Z’ reservists, who were liable to recall), were involved in the Korean war (1950-51) and the Suez crisis (1956-57).
In 1967, the Wilson government streamlined the TA and made soldiers more available to supplement the regular army. Reforms were carried out, and the old TA came to an end.
The TAVR II (Territorial and Army Volunteer Reserve) and TAVR III (in more of a home-based Civil Defence role) were the ‘new’ forces, intended to provide individual and unit reinforcements. AVR II soldiers were to be available for service and AVR III was to have a more limited commitment (TAVR III was abolished in 1969). As a result, a new lowland regiment, the 52nd Lowland Volunteers, was created. Officers and soldiers of the former 8th /9th Royal Scots formed ‘A’ Company. A second battalion was formed in 1971 known as 2nd /52nd and the ‘A ‘Company of this battalion was also Royal Scots.
In 1982, both Royal Scots companies were grouped in 2nd /52nd. In 1982, the TAVR became known as the TA once again. In 1992 the second battalion was reduced in size and only ‘A’ Company remained as a Royal Scots Company. In 1995, the battalion was redesignated as the Lowland Volunteers. The HQ in Edinburgh and a platoon at Bathgate were both Royal Scots.
As a result of the Strategic Defence Review of November 1998, the TA was reduced nationwide to 42,300 (25%of the army) with individual reservists (IRs) making a total available force of 72,000. In line with this, in 1999 the Royal Scots were reduced to ‘A’ Company, which included the band based in Edinburgh and a platoon in Bathgate.