Stephen A Bunyan
- Appendix 1: More Details of Houses
- Appendix 2: other Grade A Listed Buildings in East Lothian
- Appendix 3: Gardens & Designed Landscapes
Four buildings are important in the conservation village of Inveresk, Musselburgh.
- Inveresk Lodge* has a date of 1683 but basically dates from the 18th century.
- The Manor House* built for Archibald Shiells in 1748 but with ogee roofed 17th century pavilions.
- Halkerston Lodge* The house was built c1640 and acquired by George Suttie in 1642. It was sold by Sir George Suttie of Balgone in 1695. It was named by Helenius Halkerston, who bought it in 1779.
- Catherine Lodge* named after Catherine Fergusson of Kilkerran part of which dates from 1709.
Two farmhouses, which were formerly on Biel Estate, near Dunbar are A listed.
- Bielgrange Farmhouse* is a handsome Georgian Farmhouse built in 1802.
- Halls* was extended by F T Pilkington c1861-1865 for Andrew Stevenson.
Cockenzie House* dates from the 17th century. It was built by the Setons and confiscated with the rest of their properties after 1715. It was bought by the Cadells. It has suffered from poor alterations.
In the county town of Haddington
- Haddington House* is an important 17th century house. The Earl of Wemyss and East Lothian Antiquarian Society initiated its restoration but the task was taken on by the Lamp of Lothian Collegiate Church for which it was restored by W Schomberg Scott in 1969/1970. It was used by The Lamp as its Headquarters until 1995, when it was leased to East Lothian District Council.
- The Bank of Scotland*, Haddington 1802/1803 probably built by James Burn.
- No 7/8 Market Street* c1760, palace fronted and similar to Isaac Ware’s work at Amisfield. It was restored c1960 by the Conservative and Unionist Association and is offices and the Conservative Club.
- Carlyle House* is a most attractive small palace fronted mid 18th century house that was the childhood home of Jane Welsh, the wife of Thomas Carlyle.
In North Berwick there are several important houses of which four are A listed:
- Westerdunes*, built in 1909 by J M Dick Peddie, was an hotel. It is now divided into several residences
- Bunkerhill* was built in 1904 by Robert Lorimer.
- Carlekemp* – already noted.
- The Grange* (1893 and 1904); Robert Lorimer built for Lord Traynor and later extended for Captain Armitage.
Also worthy of note are Teviotdale (Greyhome) built in 1898 by Lorimer; slightly further away, Invereil (1899), by Kinnear & Peddie and Norham, 28 Marmion Rd (1897), by T Duncan Rhind.
- In Preston is Hamilton House* (N.T.S) dating from 1626. It was restored c1930.
- Also in Preston is 17th century Northfield House*, which was restored in 1954 by W Schomberg Scott as his own home.
- Harlaw Hill House*, Prestonpans, is a 17th century house with an ogee-roofed tower.
In Humbie Parish
- Keith Marischal Home Steading* c1800 has a classical frontage with a domed lantern doocot
At Whitekirk, the Tithe Barn* tower (built by Oliver Sinclair c1540) has recently been restored as a dwelling.