Stephen A Bunyan
Episcopal Churches in the County
St Anne’s, Dunbar
St Anne’s was established as a mission by Canon Wannop from Haddington in 1874. The church, built by H M Wardrop and Robert Rowand Anderson, was opened for worship in 1890. In 1947, Biel Chapel (Stenton), also built by Rowand Anderson in 1883, was served from St Anne’s; it seated 100+, and had only three communicants. In 1952 Admiral Brooke demolished the chapel of St Margaret at Biel and a chapel dedicated to her was established in St Anne’s and many of the furnishings of the chapel at Biel came to St Anne’s.
In 1950, the church was an incumbency with a full-time rector and a fine rectory; the main service every Sunday was Matins at 11am, with early communion and a celebration of communion at 12 noon on one Sunday in every four weeks.
In 1975 the pattern of Sunday services was Holy Communion at 8am and at 11am on the 1st and 3rd Sundays; Matins on the 2nd and 4th when Belhaven Hill School attended in term-time. The Scottish Liturgy, the Grey Book and the Hymnal for Scotland were used. Vestments were used.
Various organisations were listed in the Red Book (the annual directory of the Scottish Episcopal Church), but they and the communicant number of 132 gives an over optimistic picture for the mid 1970s. Two lay readers were listed but one was shortly to give up practising (R H James) and the other, (Dr F R Stevenson) became a NS (non stipendiary) deacon and then one of the first NS priests in the Diocese of Edinburgh on 25 Sep 1977.
The pattern of services by 2000 was: 1st Sunday, Family Communion; other Sundays Parish Eucharist; on the 5th Sunday, the service held was taken from the Scottish Prayer Book .
|St Anne’s Clergy|
|1943-1949||The Rev AD Munro|
|1949-1952||The Rev RW Calvert|
|1952-1979||The Rev EM Ivens (who retired by agreement)|
St Anne’s was finding it difficult to continue as a full-time charge.
St Anne’s, Dunbar was linked to Holy Trinity, Haddington, under a team ministry
|1979-1983||The Rev D Rimmer – also of Holy Trinity, Haddington|
|1983-1993||The Rev A Black – also of Holy Trinity, Haddington|
|1991-1994||Curate – Rev Dr K Whitefield – resident in Dunbar|
|1994-1997||The Rev I Paton – also of Holy Trinity, Haddington|
|1995-1997||Priest with charge Rev G Grunewald – under Haddington;
he was proposed as rector of the linked charge – Haddington withdrew the offer.
Link terminated: Rev G Grunewald left
|1998-2000||Rev PL Allen initially appointed Deacon with charge 1st May 1998
Rev PL Allen [30th November 1998] part-time priest with charge, independent of Haddington
[first woman priest in Dunbar]
Holy Trinity, Haddington
Although the office of Bishop was abolished in the Scottish church in 1690, Episcopal services continued in Haddington during the 18th century – the only place in the then county where they did. The church was built in 1770 on the site of the medieval Friary, known as ‘The Lamp of Lothian’. The church was refurbished in 1962. There was a serious fire in 1988 and further refurbishment followed.
In 1947, there was Holy Communion each Sunday at 8.00am, Sung Eucharist on the 1st and 3rd Sundays, and Matins on the other, and Evensong each Sunday.
In 1975, the pattern of services was Holy Communion at 8.30am each Sunday; Family Eucharist at 10.00am on the 1st Sunday; Sung Eucharist at 11.00am on the 3rd Sunday; Matins at 11.00am on the 2nd and 4th Sunday. The Scottish Liturgy 1970 and the English Series 3 Service were used. Vestments were worn. There were 300 members and 200 communicants, and 50 attended the Sunday school.
By 2000, Holy Communion was held at 8.00am and Sung Eucharist at 10.00am, with Evening prayer at 6.00pm (sung on the 1st Sunday).
|Holy Trinity Clergy|
|1939-1946||The Rev WP Shannon|
|1947-1962||Holy Trinity had responsibility for St Germain’s, Tranent|
|1946-1951||The Rev CAWR Eckersley|
|1951-1961||The Rev WNG Boxer|
|1961-1965||The Rev A Mackintosh|
|1965-1971||The Rev AF Johnson|
|1972-1978||The Rev D Howard with J Wood,
as a lay reader who subsequently became an NS Priest  at Holy Trinity
|1978||St Anne’s, Dunbar linked with Holy Trinity|
|1978-1983||The Rev D Rimmer|
|1983-1993||The Rev A Black|
|1994-1997||The Rev I Paton|
|1997||link severed between Holy Trinity and St Anne’s, Dunbar|
|1998-2000||The Rev A Bain in a team ministry with the Rev J Wood
and the Rev R Copleton (NS Priest);
Mrs S Salvesen – lay reader, and a team of lay pastors.
The Chapel of the Three Kings of Cologne
The chapel, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, the Christ Child and the Three Kings, is in the Lauderdale Aisle in St Mary’s Parish Church, Haddington. It was consecrated in 1978, by the Bishop of Edinburgh. The Chapel is available to all Trinitarian churches and in 2000, was administered by the Rev Andrew Bain.
Winton House, Pencaitland
Services were held at Winton until 1952 when it was felt that improved transport made it possible for Episcopalians who wished, to go to Haddington. After the fire at Tranent in 1941, arrangements were made for that congregation to go to Winton if they wished, and the Tranent mission was closed down until after the war (see also St Germain’s, Tranent).
St Baldred’s, North Berwick
Soon after his arrival in Haddington in 1855, Canon Wannop established a mission in North Berwick (the church originally called All Saints). St Baldred’s was consecrated in 1862. The church was extended on several occasions to meet the needs of a growing congregation but was reduced in this period so that a useful hall was made out of an aisle.
There was, from the start, a determination to keep the services moderate to make them widely acceptable. In 1922 it was decided to use the Scottish Liturgy and in 1930 two female members were appointed to the vestry. The pattern of services in 1947 was a Choral Eucharist on the 1st Sunday in the month, with Matins on the others and a celebration of Holy Communion at 12.15pm on the 3rdSunday. By 1975 they had Family Communion on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sundays; by 2000, the pattern was of an early communion on two Sundays and a Sung Eucharist as the main service.
|St Baldred’s Clergy|
|1937-1949||The Rev HB Gooderham|
|1949-1956||The Rev AL Wilson|
|1956-1962||The Rev KW Kennett|
|1963-1969||The Rev FW Drake|
|1969-1980||The Rev RJ Denholm|
|1981-1988||The Rev Canon A Mackintosh|
|1988-2000||The Rev Canon John Lindsay
with The Rev Lorna Mortis as NS curate
St Adrian’s, Gullane
During the last decade of the 19th century, Gullane village was developed. A mission was started there, in 1909, from North Berwick. It became independent in 1911 and the congregation soon had its own Rector. The new church, dedicated to St Adrian, was opened in 1925.
In 1947 there was an early celebration of Holy Communion, and Matins every Sunday, with Communion afterwards on two Sundays.
Services in 1975 were Holy Communion 8.30am, Sung Eucharist 11.00am on the 1st Sunday with Matins on the remaining Sundays. The 1929 Scottish Liturgy was used. The English Office  was used on the 1st Sunday. By 2000, Holy Communion was held on the 1st and 3rd Sundays, at 8.00am, with a Sung Eucharist at 9.30am.using the 1982 liturgy except on the first Sunday at 8 am.
|St Adrian’s Clergy|
|1945-1951||The Rev C Partridge|
|1951-1954||The Rev H McIntosh|
|1954-1957||The Rev S Kaye-Parry|
|1957-1975||The Rev CAW Harvey|
|1975-1980||The Rev RJ Denholm – also of St Baldred’s, North Berwick|
|1981-1988||The Rev Canon A Mackintosh – also of St Baldred’s, North Berwick|
|1988-2000||The Rev Canon John Lindsay – also of St Baldred’s, North Berwick
with The Rev Lorna Mortis as NS curate in both charges.
St Peter’s, Musselburgh
This church has had a long history and has unbroken links to the pre-1690 church. Episcopal worship perhaps survived in Musselburgh because of the support of the Duke of Buccleuch and the Marquis of Tweeddale; in 1785 a chapel was built. St Peter’s Church was built in 1865. A hall was built beside it c1970. In 1976 the congregation was linked with St Andrew’s Prestonpans. By the latter part of the 20th century, there was still input to the local primary school, which the Church originally founded and which still bears its name (Pinkie St Peter’s).
In 1947, the main service was Matins, with a Communion on the 3rd Sunday. In 1975, services were similar to those in the other churches, with an early celebration of Communion and Sung Eucharist on three Sundays and Matins on the others. The Scottish Liturgy was used and they had vestments and the Reserved Sacrament. By 2000, generally, there was one Communion service at 11.15am and evening prayer.
|St Peter’s Clergy|
|1945-1957||The Rev J McGill|
|1957-1984||The Rev IA Deighton|
|1976||St Andrew’s, Prestonpans linked with St Peter’s|
|1984-1986||The Rev CAG Kerr|
|1986-1993||The Rev Dr KF Scott|
|1993-1994||The Rev J Jones Deacon in Charge|
|1994-1995||The Rev J Jones Priest in Charge (female priest)|
|1995-2002||The Rev J Jones Rector with the Rev R Cooke (NS) [deacon from 1999; Priest from 2000]|
St Andrew’s, Prestonpans
The mission was launched in 1911. The church building was supplied by Holy Cross Church, Davidson’s Mains, Edinburgh in 1913 and dedicated to St Andrew in 1914. It was run as a mission from St Mary’s Cathedral. In 1939, St Andrew’s asked to be taken over by St Peter’s, Musselburgh. It was given independent status in 1959 and was linked to St Peter’s in 1976. The original simple church building was clad with stone in 1952. The congregation moved to the former Grange Church (which had been the former Free Kirk, and then its church hall) in 1992 and this building was re-furbished in 1999-2000.
In 1947, St Andrew’s had a Communion Service on the 2nd Sunday at 11.00am, and Evensong on the other Sundays. In 1975, it held Holy Communion at 8.00am, and a Sung Eucharist at 11.15am, with vestments. By 2000, one service of Holy Communion was held at 9.30am, and the 1982 Liturgy was used.
|St Andrew’s Clergy|
|1941-1947||The Rev J McGill|
|1947-1949||The Rev RL Webber|
|1950-1955||The Rev J Lyford-Pike|
|1956-1960||The Rev RA Grant|
|1960-1963||The Rev DWJ Tweddle|
|1962-1975||St Andrew’s had responsibility for St Germain’s, Tranent|
|1963-1968||The Rev IF Black|
|1968-1971||The Rev RJS Burns|
|1971-1974||The Rev CC Porteus
On the death of Rev CC Porteus, St Germain’s mission, Tranent, was discontinued
|1976||St Andrew’s, Prestonpans linked with St Peter’s, Musselburgh|
|1976-1984||The Rev IA Deighton, Priest in charge
– also Rector of St Peter’s, Musselburgh
|1984-1986||The Rev CAG Kerr, Priest in charge
– also Rector of St Peter’s, Musselburgh
|1986-1993||The Rev Dr KF Scott, Priest in charge
– also Rector of St Peter’s, Musselburgh
|1993-1994||The Rev J Jones Deacon in Charge – also of St Peter’s, Musselburgh|
|1994-1995||The Rev J Jones Priest in Charge (female priest)
– also of St Peter’s, Musselburgh
|1995-2002||The Rev J Jones Rector with the Rev R Cooke (NS )
[Deacon from 1999, Priest from 2000]
St Germain’s, Tranent
(see map for location of this church)
Canon Wannop started a mission to Tranent. In 1911 it was established as a diocesan mission. A building was provided by Holy Cross Church in 1913 and the church was dedicated to St Germain. It was ministered to from Haddington from 1935-40; there was a fire in 1941, and the mission was then closed until 1947. Arrangements were made for those who wished to, to worship at Winton House, though some may have gone to Haddington or Musselburgh.
The mission was re-started in 1947 in the Wishart Church Hall. From 1968-73 it operated in the Methodist Church in Tranent, and from 1973-75 from a caravan.
Holy Trinity, Haddington resumed responsibility for the congregation until 1962. From 1962 until 1975 it was linked with St Andrew’s, Prestonpans; after the death of the Rev CC Porteus, St Germain’s mission was discontinued; St Andrew’s, Prestonpans was linked with St Peter’s, Musselburgh in 1976.
Loretto Chapel, Musselburgh
Thomas Langhorne (Rector of St Peter’s, Musselburgh from 1821) leased Loretto House in 1829 and started a boys’ school, which in due course flourished as Loretto School. The boys continued to attend St Peter’s until the school Chapel was built in 1891, and in the 19th century ran to Dalkeith on Sunday afternoons for Choral Evensong in St Mary’s Church (then Dalkeith Palace Chapel). Loretto Chapel was enlarged in 1962-65. It is inter-denominational. In 2000, the chaplain was an Episcopalian.
- The Book of Common Prayer
- The Prayer Book of the Church of England – various editions. The Current Edition is that of 1928 [brought up to date with updated prayers for the Royal Family]
- Choral Eucharist
- The Communion service partly set to music and sung
- The Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper, Eucharist
- Assistant to the parish priest
- In Episcopal churches, a minister of the third order, below a bishop and a priest
- English Office
- The Communion service from the Book of Common Prayer [in the Scottish Prayer Book 1929, that of 1662]
- Christian Sacrament commemorating the Last Supper, in which bread and wine are consecrated and consumed
- Service of evening prayer in Church of England; either said, or partly sung
- Family Eucharist
- Services attended by whole families some times simplified
- High Church
- Celebrating with ceremony, ritual and music; usually associated with Catholic practices
- High Mass
- High Church [Anglo-Catholic] Communion
- Holy Communion
- See communion
- The Hymnal for Scotland
- A Hymnal produced to accompany the 1929 Liturgy. Various other hymnbooks are in use
- Lay Reader
- A layperson (not ordained into the clergy) licensed to conduct some religious services
- The Scottish Liturgy
- The Communion service in the Scottish Prayer Book 1929. Other versions were produced and authorised for use by The College of Bishops – the Grey Book 1970; the Orange Book 1977; the Blue Book 1982. A second edition  was issued with additional eucharistic prayers. Other liturgical developments were in hand
- Low Church
- Celebrating matins, evensong, and early morning Holy Communion
- Low Mass
- Early spoken service in a High Church
- The Eucharist especially in the RC church
- Service of morning prayer in the Church of England or in Medieval abbeys etc. The office of one of the canonical hours of prayer, properly a night office, but also recited with lauds at daybreak
- A body sent to propagate a religious faith
- Parish Eucharist
- To encompass the whole congregation
- Priest or shepherd
- An ordained minister of the Anglican Church (above a deacon, and below a bishop)
- In Scotland an incumbent; in the Church of England, the incumbent of a parish where all tithes formerly passed to the incumbent
- The Red Book
- The annual directory of the Scottish Episcopal Church
- Reserved Sacrament
- Where consecrated elements of the communion are kept in a tabernacle for veneration and/or subsequent communion of the sick and infirm
- Scottish Office
- Scottish Communion Service from the 1929 Prayer Book
- Series 1,2&3
- Updated versions of service books in England
- Sung Eucharist
- Communion rite partly set to music and sung